- For the vanilla ice-cream base
- 9 free-range egg yolks
- 200 g sugar
- 1 T vanilla paste
- 4 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- For the ice cream:
- 1 pineapple, peeled and puréed
- 2 mangoes, peeled and puréed
To make the vanilla ice-cream base:
1. Beat the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract using an electric mixer until pale. This aerates the eggs and makes for a lighter, fluffier ice cream.
2. Combine the egg-yolk mixture with the cream and milk, then pour into a saucepan. Cook over a low to medium heat until thickened. Alternatively, cook in a doubleboiler.
3. Allow the mixture to cool, then churn in an ice-cream machine until ready to serve. Makes 2 litres.
To make the mango-and-pineapple ice cream:
1. Make the ice-cream base.
2. Fold the pineapple and mango pulp through the churned ice cream and freeze for 4 hours or until firm and ready to serve.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom and Keletso Motau