My mom woke up extra early and made us these delicious eggs, which we ate while we watched Princess Diana’s funeral. She cooked the eggs so quickly and always mixes the grated cheese with flour and milk before adding it to the beaten eggs – this makes the eggs impossibly creamy and decadent. I love these eggs best with no more than some generously buttered bread and plenty of slices of fresh ripe tomato.
- 6 free-range eggs
- 100 g white Cheddar, grated
- 2 T flour
- ¼ cup milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 50 g butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small red pepper, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 large avocado, halved, for serving
- 250 g Woolworths exotic cherry tomatoes
1. Whisk the eggs in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the cheese, flour, milk and seasoning. Combine the flour mixture with the eggs.
2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a pan. Gently fry the red pepper and onion until translucent and fragrant. Add the eggs and stir gently in a folding motion for about 3 minutes, or until the eggs are just cooked. Serve with fresh tomato and avocado.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Production: Khanya Mzongwana
Food assistant: Thandi Mamacos