- 600 g small fresh mussels in the shell, cleaned
- 70 g chorizo, finely chopped
- 1 onion 1, finely chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 x 400 g whole tomatoes in juice
- 1–2 T Italian parsley chopped
- crusty bread, steamed rice or short pasta, for serving (optional)
Check that all the mussels are tightly closed. Cook the chorizo and onion in the heated oil. Stir in the garlic and chilli.
Add the tomatoes and break up using a potato masher. Simmer fairly briskly for 10 minutes, or until reduced and slightly thickened.
Add the mussels and parsley and cover tightly. Increase the heat and cook for a few minutes, or until the mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that do not open. Season to taste if necessary.