- 4 cups weak chicken stock 4 cups
- 1 celery stick, roughly chopped
- 500 g free-range chicken thighs
- 250 g penne
- 150 g fine green beans, trimmed
- 25 g Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 15 g chives, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lemon, zested
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Parmesan, grated, for sprinkling
- olive oil, for drizzling (optional)
1. Pour the stock into a suitable saucepan. Add the onion, celery and chicken. Bring to a bubble, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30–40 minutes.
2. Strain and return the stock to the clean saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then add the penne and green beans. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the penne and beans are just cooked, about 10–12 minutes.
3. Meanwhile skin, debone and shred the chicken. Mix the herbs, garlic and lemon zest.
4. When the pasta is cooked, remove from the heat and add the shredded chicken. Allow to stand for a few minutes to warm through. Check the seasoning, then stir in the mixed herbs, garlic and lemon zest.
5. Sprinkle with Parmesan and drizzle with olive oil at the table.
Cook's note: “I’m prudent when it comes to the number of saucepans needed for a single recipe, so when I can, I’ll go for one-pot recipes like this one.”
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food assistant: Kate Ferreira