A lighter take on the classic creamy mushroom sauce, this mushroom butter also works beautifully on grilled chicken.
- For the mushroom butter:
- 4 T butter
- 3 T olive oil
- 250 g brown mushrooms, torn into pieces
- salt, to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 4 Woolworths Angus oyster steaks, at room temperature
- Woolworths frozen oven-bake potato chips 500 g, cooked
1. To make the mushroom butter, heat 1 1⁄2 T butter and the olive oil in a large pan. Fry half the mushrooms, then remove from the pan.
2. Cook the remaining mushrooms in 1 1⁄2 T butter, then add the reserved cooked mushrooms and mix with the garlic and thyme. Season. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the remaining butter.
3. To cook the steaks, season them with salt. Heat a grill pan over medium coals until smoking hot, then fry the steaks for 2 minutes on each side.
4. Serve the steaks on top of a pile of chips and spoon over the mushroom butter.
Photography: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom