“I wasn’t keen on Brussels sprouts when I was a child but now that my palate has grown up, I love them.” – Abigail Donnelly
- 700 g ssels sprouts, blanched
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T plus 125 g butter, softened
- 70 g mint sauce
- mint, to garnish
- salt, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the Brussels sprouts on a baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil and 2 T butter.
2. Using a meat mallet or a heavy bottle, smash them slightly. Season with salt and bake for 30 minutes until slightly golden brown.
3. To make the mint butter, blend the remaining butter and mint sauce and toss through the hot Brussels sprouts.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistants: Emma Nkunzana and Nicola Naude