- 1 free-range whole chicken
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, to moisten
- 8–10 ripe red tomatoes (about 1 kg)
- 8 basil leaves
- 3–4 garlic cloves, smashed
- Angel hair pasta, cooked al dente, for serving
Preheat the oven to 220°C.
Season the chicken and moisten with oil. Halve the tomatoes and arrange, cut-side up, in an oiled roasting pan. Season and moisten with oil.
Tuck in the basil leaves and garlic. Place the chicken, breast-side down, on top of the tomatoes and roast for 40 minutes. Turn and roast for a further 20 minutes until golden brown. Allow to rest for 5–10 minutes before serving. Serve with the pasta.