- 5 T olive oil
- 200–300 g Woolworths lightly smoked mackerel fillets
- 1 fennel large bulb, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 50 g raisins
- Saffron a pinch
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine cup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250 g spaghetti, cooked al dente
- 2 T toasted pine nuts or flaked almonds
- 2 T toasted breadcrumbs
Oil the mackerel. Heat 3 T olive oil in a large pan and gently cook the fennel and onion. Add a little more oil if necessary.
Meanwhile, soak the raisins and saffron in the wine. When the fennel and onion are so soft that they have almost caramelised, add the wine, raisins and saffron. Heat through and season lightly. Moisten the hot, drained pasta with olive oil and add to the pan.
Grill the mackerel fillets, skin side down, in a separate pan over a moderate heat or on the braai. By the time the skin is crisp, the flesh will be just cooked. Top the pasta with the grilled fish and sprinkle with the toasted nuts and breadcrumbs. Serve immediately.