- For the beetroot-stained quail’s eggs:
- 1 x 290 g jar Woolworths pickled quail eggs
- 1 x 240 g tub Woolworths roasted beetroot with balsamic vinegar
- 2 sheets Woolworths all-butter puff pastry, slightly thawed
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1 cup Woolworths Royal Ashton or Overberg, grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 125 g crème fraîche, for serving
- 1 x 100 g pack Woolworths oak-smoked salmon ribbons, for serving
- capers, for serving
- microgreens, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. To make the beetroot-stained quail’s eggs, tip the quail’s eggs and vinegar into a small bowl. Mix with the beetroot and set aside.
2. Cut each sheet of pastry into four squares so that you have 8 in total. Cut out the middle of 4 squares of pastry creating a 1–2 cm border. Using a little water to help them stick, place a cut-out border on each of the intact squares. Chill for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the filling. Whisk the eggs, milk, cream, cheese and salt until combined.
4. Bake the pastry for 10–15 minutes, or until risen and golden. The centre will puff up too. Press down the centre using the back of a spoon.
5. Fill the pastry with the egg-and-cheese mixture and bake for a further 10 minutes. Serve topped with the crème fraîche, salmon, quail’s eggs, capers and microherbs.
Cook’s note: Freeze the leftover pastry to use another time.