- 500 g brinjals
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 t ground cumin
- 1 t ground coriander
- ¼ t crushed chilli flakes
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1 x 400 g g peeled and diced tomatoes can
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh oregano or wild rocket, to garnish
- Woolworths yellow lentil pasta, cooked al dente, for serving
1. Peel and dice the brinjals. Heat 2 T oil in a pan. Add the onion, cover and cook gently until softened, adding a little more oil if necessary. Stir in the garlic, spices and oregano. Add 3 T oil and stir in the brinjal.
2. Stir until well coated with oil. Increase the heat slightly and fry the brinjal for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Season lightly. Add the tomatoes and stock. Cover and cook gently for 10–15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the brinjal is tender and the sauce reduced. Check the seasoning. Serve with the pasta, garnished as you like.
Cook's note: This vegetarian pasta is packed with Mediterranean flavours, perfect for warming yourself up in the heart of winter.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food assistant: Kate Ferreira