“Mango atchar was the condiment of choice when I was growing up – we’d eat it with anything from hot slap chips for lunch, to pap and chicken stew for dinner. It’s also a delicious crunchy addition to the butter served with this steak.” – Keletso Motau
- For the atchar-anchovy butter:
- 250 g butter, at room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 50 g anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
- 50 g hot mango atchar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the confetti onions:
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 T flour
- sunflower oil, for frying
- For the steak:
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T-bone steaks
1. To make the butter, mix the butter, garlic, anchovies and atchar, then season and set aside.
2. To make the confetti onions, soak the onions in cold water for 5 minutes, then drain and toss in the flour. Dust off any excess flour, then fry in the oil until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and season to taste.
3. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan over a high heat. Season the steaks, then cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking.
4. Remove the steaks from the pan, top with the atchar butter and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
5. Slice the steaks and serve with the crispy onions.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis