- canola oil, for deep-frying
- 4 free-range eggs
- 100 g Woolworths tempura batter
- ponzu sauce, for serving
- pickled ginger, for serving
- steamed jasmine rice, for serving
1. Heat the oil to 180°C in a saucepan. Place the eggs in simmering water and cook for 5 minutes, then cool and peel.
2. Prepare the tempura batter according to package instructions, then dip the eggs into the batter and transfer straight into the oil. Fry until crispy, this should take 1–2 minutes per egg. Serve with the ponzu sauce, pickled ginger and jasmine rice.
Photography: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom