This easy pudding will satisfy your craving for a warm baked malva-style pudding and something ultra-chocolatey in one go!
- For the batter:
- 15 g butter
- 180 g sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 3 T smooth apricot jam
- 1 t bicarbonate of soda
- 1 t baking powder
- ¾ cup milk
- 120 g cake flour
- 1 T cocoa
- a pinch of salt
- 2 t white spirit vinegar
- For the chocolate sauce:
- 1½ cups cream
- 60 g dark chocolate, chopped
- custard or cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
2. In a small bowl, dissolve the bicarbonate of soda into the milk.
3. Combine the apricot jam, eggs, melted butter and the bicarbonate milk mixture, then add in the vinegar.
4. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and fold to combine.
5. Pour the mixture into a 24 x 8 cm ovenproof dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Pour the mixture into a 24 x 8 cm ovenproof dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. To make the sauce, finely chop the chocolate (this helps it to melt faster) and heat the cream over a medium heat till hot, but not boiling. Remove from the heat and pour the warm cream over the chopped chocolate. Stir to mix until smooth and silky.
8. Using a skewer, poke holes in the pudding all the way to the bottom. Pour the chocolate sauce over the cake and allow to absorb completely. Serve with custard or cream.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Khanya Mzongwana