“The tofu can be cooked in an air-fryer at 180°C for 10 minutes. Place on grid in a single layer and give the drawer a shake halfway through. Use firm tofu as silken can be too fragile.” - Abigail Donnelly
- For the Romesco sauce:
- 200 g Woolworths roasted red peppers in brine
- 1 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 100 g raw almonds, toasted
- 3 T Italian parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 T lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ t smoked paprika
- 1 t Woolworths smoked chilli flakes
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- salt, to taste
- For the tofu:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T Woolworths Spanish paella seasoning
- 1 x 350 g carton Woolworths PLANTLove tofu, cubed
1. To make the Romesco sauce, blend all the ingredients except the salt, but not too smoothly. Season to taste, then heat slightly.
2. To make the tofu, mix the oil and seasoning. Carefully toss with the tofu. Heat a large frying pan and cook the tofu over a medium heat for 2 minutes on each side, carefully turning halfway through.
3. To serve, spoon the sauce into bowls and top with the fried tofu.
Cook's note: If you're not plant-based, you can bulk up this recipe with Woolie's stir-fried pork rasher. They're made from specially selected South African pork belly, cured and oak-smoked for a subtle sweet-smoky flvour.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Danielle Smith