- 2 x 180 g jars Woolworths albacore white tuna fillets in spring water, drained and flaked
- 50 g Woolworths toasted breadcrumbs
- 15 g parsley, finely chopped
- 1 free-range egg
- 1 lemon, zested
- salt, to taste
- For the sauce:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100 g Woolworths Pepperito seedless peppers, finely chopped
- 1 x 800 g can whole peeled tomatoes in tomato juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. To make the tuna balls, combine the ingredients and roll into 8 balls. Chill for 30 minutes.
2. To make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion, garlic and peppers and sauté until soft. Add the tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Season to taste.
3. Place the tuna balls in a roasting tray and cover with the sauce, then bake for 20–25 minutes.
Cook's note: This is a delicious easy dinner, as there is no need to cook the meatballs separately, just plonk them into the sauce. Make double the quantity of sauce to freeze for the next rotation. Serve with butter bean mash seasoned with chopped preserved lemon.
Photographs: Andrea Van Der Spuy
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom