- For the almond brittle:
- 100 g caster sugar
- a few drops vanilla extract
- 190 g silvered almonds, lightly toasted
- For the syrupy naartjies:
- 2 naartjies, halved
- 2 T golden syrup
- For the malva pudding
- 1 x 440 g Woolworths vegan malva pudding
- 1 cup Woolworths vegan vanilla custard
1. To make the almond brittle, place a piece of greaseproof paper on a baking sheet and spray lightly with non-stick spray. Place the caster sugar and vanilla into a pan and melt slowly over a medium heat, stirring occasionally with a spatula. Once the sugar has melted and caramelised to a light golden golden, gently stir the almonds in until combined. Pour the almond brittle onto the prepared baking tray and spread slightly by moving the baking sheet around. Allow to set.
2. To make the syrupy naartjies, heat a nonstick pan and add the honey. Once the syrup begins to bubble, place the naartjie halves into the pan cut-side down, and allow the edges to caramelise to a deep golden brown.
3. Serve with the malva pudding warm with the syrupy naartjies, custard and shards of crispy almond brittle.
Photograph: Toby Murphy