- 500 g filletted fresh white sustainable fish
- 1 cup fresh lime (or lemon) juice
- 2 firm red tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ t chilli powder
- 4 T olive oil
- 2 T white wine vinegar
- 2 T fresh coriander, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large, firm avocado, thinly sliced, to garnish
- Coriander leaves, for sprinkling
- Home-made tortilla chips, for serving
Thinly slice the fish across the grain. Place in a bowl (not a metal one) and pour over the lime or lemon juice. Cover and chill for 1–2 hours.
Add the remaining ingredients except the avocado, coriander and tortilla chips and mix well. Check the seasoning. Cover and chill until serving with the tortilla chips, garnished with avocado and coriander.
Cook’s note: You can use chunkier fish, but it will require a longer standing time.
Make your own tortilla chips by cutting fresh tortillas into wedges and deep-frying until crisp.