Imifino are essentially wild, foraged greens. I love umfino because it can really be any combination of dark, leafy greens you can get your hands on. I use whole kale and chopped spinach as well as some chargrilled young onions to add smokiness and crunch.
- 200 g kale
- 200 g spinach, washed and torn
- 60 g wild rocket
- 4 T olive oil
- 200 g baby onions or baby leeks, halved lengthways
- 350 g Woolworths baby gem squash, sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, keeping a bowl of iced water close by. Blanch the greens by cooking them in the boiling water for 3 minutes, then submerge them in the iced water.
2. Heat a pan and add the olive oil. When the pan is very hot, char the onions/leeks and the baby gem squash. Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, flash-fry the greens and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the veggies on a plate and serve warm as a hearty side.
Photograph: Toby Murphy