“With 30 minutes of cooking time before you leave it to stand for three hours, this Spanish- inspired chicken pot is a great energy-saver. Make it in the morning before work and it will be ready to eat during your evening loadshedding slot. Just make the couscous and you’re good to go!” – Hannah Lewry
- 210 g Woolworths smoked Spanish chorizo pork sausage, skin removed and diced
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 head garlic
- 2 t ground cumin, toasted
- 1 T coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 t chilli flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 4–6 leeks, cut into large chunks
- 2 sachets Woolworths chicken stock concentrate
- 4–6 cups water
- 1.3 kg whole free-range chicken
- 160 g pearl couscous
- parsley, chopped, to garnish
1. Place the chorizo into a 26 cm cast-iron saucepan and fry in the olive oil over a medium to low heat. Once the oil starts to change colour, add 4 cloves chopped garlic and fry for 1–2 minutes.
2. Remove the chorizo and garlic from the pan along with some of the oil. Reserve half for the leftovers recipe and chill. Add the remaining garlic, the cumin, coriander and chilli flakes. Fry for a further minute or two, then add the remaining ingredients except the chicken, couscous and parsley. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the chicken to the pot, breast side down. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, turn off the heat and cook in the residual heat for 3–4 hours, covered. Do not remove the lid as the heat will escape and the chicken won’t cook through.
4. Remove the chicken from the pot. Remove the breasts and set aside for the leftovers recipe. Shred the rest of the chicken, discarding the skin and bones. Strain the cooking liquid and set aside. Discard the aromatics, but keep the leeks.
5. Return 11⁄2 cups of the cooking liquid to the pan and add the couscous. Reserve the remaining cooking liquid. Once the couscous is cooked, divide between bowls, ladle over the broth and top with the shredded chicken and chorizo. Garnish with parsley.
Cook's note: Flavour swap option: Add soya sauce, ginger, chilli and star anise for an Asian- style version of this chicken winner.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen