- 1 litre amasi or buttermilk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T chicken stock powder
- 1 whole free-range chicken, cut into pieces
- 200 g flour
- 120 g Woolworths salsa nacho chips, crushed
- 1 T dried thyme
- 2 T paprika
- 2 T Woolworths steak rub
- 1 1/2 T smoked chilli flakes (or to taste)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- For the dressing:
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 100 g mayonnaise
- 1 T honey
- For the salad:
- 1 Granny Smith apple, sliced
- 1 small bunch Cotton Candy grapes, sliced
- a small bunch celery leaves
- 3 or 4 spring onions, sliced
- a handful almonds, sliced
- 3 heads baby gem lettuce
1. Combine the amasi or buttermilk with the garlic and stock powder. Add the chicken pieces. Marinate for a few hours (depending on how much time you have) although overnight is ideal. The slight acidity and enzymes in the amasi or buttermilk breaks down protein in the meat, resulting in super tender and succulent chicken.
2. In a separate dish, combine the flour, tortilla chips, thyme, paprika and chicken seasoning. Remove the chicken from the fridge. Thoroughly coat each piece of chicken in the chips coating and place on a board.
3. Heat the oil to 160°C or to a medium-high heat. To check the heat of the oil, drop a small piece of tortilla chip in the oil. If it bubbles and floats immediately, the oil is ready for frying.
4. Gently shake off the excess coating and place the chicken pieces in the oil. Fry until golden brown and crispy.
5. Arrange the salad ingredients on a platter, nestle the chicken pieces in between, drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately.
Cook's note: This is also great with creamy mashed potatoes.
Video editing: Barry de Villiers
Video production: Katharine Pope