- 1 litre amasi or buttermilk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T chicken stock powder
- 1 whole free-range chicken, cut into pieces
- 200 g flour
- 120 g Woolworths tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 T dried thyme
- 1 T paprika
- 1 T low-sodium chicken seasoning
- vegetable oil, for frying
1. Combine the amasi or buttermilk with the garlic and stock powder. Add the chicken pieces. Marinate for a few hours (depending on how much time you have) although overnight is ideal. The slight acidity and enzymes in the amasi or buttermilk breaks down protein in the meat, resulting in super tender and succulent chicken.
2. In a separate dish, combine the flour, tortilla chips, thyme, paprika and chicken seasoning. Remove the chicken from the fridge. Thoroughly coat each piece of chicken in the chips coating and place on a board.
3. Heat the oil to 160°C or to a medium-high heat. To check the heat of the oil, drop a small piece of tortilla chip in the oil. If it bubbles and floats immediately, the oil is ready for frying.
4. Gently shake off the excess coating and place the chicken pieces in the oil. Fry until golden brown and crispy. Serve with your favourite condiments or alongside creamy mashed potatoes.