"This easy cake offers plump, coffee-soaked raisins with every mouthful. Serve with vanilla-flavoured cream or on its own." – Abigail Donnelly
- 3⁄4 cup strong, hot coffee
- 150 g raisins
- 210 g flour
- 60 g cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 t baking powder
- a pinch salt
- 1 free-range egg
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup Woolworths long-life cream, chilled and beaten
1. Soak the raisins in the hot coffee for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk in the remaining ingredients except the cream. Add the raisins and 1⁄4 cup of the soaking liquid.
3. Pour the batter into a 23 cm greased cake tin. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 40 minutes. Cool, then remove from the tin.
4. Whisk the raisin soaking liquid into the cream and spread over the cake, or use a piping bag to make a pretty pattern.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistants: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen and Tahila Pillay