- 1 T olive oil
- A few sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic
- 500 g ostrich steak
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 T preserved ginger, chopped
- 1 T ginger syrup
- 1/4 t fresh ginger, grated
- 1 T lemon juice
- 200 g Cape gooseberries
- 1/2 t soya sauce
- Steamed Asian salad greens, for serving
- Jasmine rice, steamed, for serving
Gently heat the olive oil with the thyme and garlic. When fragrant, add the ostrich steaks and fry until nicely browned on both sides but still rare. Remove the steaks from the pan and season. Pour off the fat and discard the thyme and garlic.
Add the stock, preserved ginger, ginger syrup, fresh ginger and lemon juice. Bring to a bubble and simmer for a few minutes until slightly reduced.
Add the berries and steaks and heat through, then add the soya sauce.
Serve with steamed greens and jasmine rice.