- 250 g macaroni
- ½ cup cream
- 165 g mature Cheddar, grated
- 1 t mustard powder
- fresh nutmeg a grating
- cayenne pepper a pinch
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- smoked paprika, for sprinkling (optional)
- tomato salad, for serving
1. Cook the macaroni in salted water until just cooked. Drain and set aside.
2. In the same saucepan, heat the cream and simmer for 1–2 minutes until well reduced. Stir in the cheese until melted, then add the pasta, mixing well.
3. Stir in the mustard, nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Check the seasoning, adding salt if necessary and a twist or two of pepper. Serve immediately with the tomato salad. If you like, dust with smoked paprika.
Cook's note: "Comfort food doesn’t come any faster than this family favourite.”
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food assistant: Kate Ferreira