- 350 g Woolworths strawberry-flavoured puffed rice cereal
- 6 cups milk
- 8 free-range egg yolks
- 150 g sugar
- ½ t salt
- 1 x 400 ml can coconut cream
- 1 cup Woolworths long-life whipping cream
1. Combine the strawberry puffs and milk and soak overnight.
2. Strain the strawberry puffs through a fine sieve until you get 4 cups of strawberry milk, pressing down on the strawberry puffs with a spoon to remove all the liquid.
3. In a cold saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and salt until a smooth paste is formed. Add the strawberry milk, coconut cream and whipping cream and whisk to combine. Bring this mixture up to heat very slowly, whisking continually (it should steam but not boil), this should take about 10 minutes. Remove the mixture from the saucepan and chill until cold.
4. Churn in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions until the desired consistency has been reached. Transfer to a freezerproof container and freeze for 2–4 hours or until completely frozen, or scoop into ice-cream cones.
Cook’s note: Use the egg whites to make marshmallow fish.
Photography: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom