- 500 g sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 300 g carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 free-range eggs, separated
- 40 g flour
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced, for serving
- 100 g fresh peas, cooked, for serving
- 10 g fresh basil, for serving
Cook the sweet potato and carrots in boiling salted water until very soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and mash roughly. Season, then add the egg yolks and flour and mix well.
Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then fold into the mixture.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Shape the mixture into small patties and fry in batches for 2–4 minutes on each side, or until golden in colour. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
Top with the avocado, scatter over the peas and garnish with the basil leaves.