- 250 g flour
- 100 g brown sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- ½ t ground cinnamon
- 2 free-range eggs
- 2 T vegetable oil
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 T full-cream milk
- 1 green apple, thinly sliced
- Woolworths Pink Lady apple sauce, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line a 10 cm loaf tin. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, vinegar and milk.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, then mix, taking care not to over mix.
4. Pour the batter into the loaf tin, then arrange the sliced apple on top and sprinkle over 1 T brown sugar.
5. Bake for 45–60 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean. Cool, then serve with the apple sauce.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom, Keletso Motau & Mogau Seshoene