- 120 g butter
- 125 g golden syrup
- 125 g sugar
- 125 g flour
- 1 t salt
- 1 t lemon juice
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 3 T Caramel Treat
- Nutella, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Place the butter, syrup and sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously, until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
2. Sift the dry ingredients and stir into the butter-and-sugar mixture with the lemon juice. Mix until well combined.
3. Place 1 T mixture onto the lined baking tray, then spread into a thin circle using the back of a spoon. Repeat with the remaining mixture, making sure they are spaced well apart.
4. Bake for 8–10 minutes, or until golden brown. Leave on the baking tray for a minute to cool slightly. Loosen with a spatula, then gently press onto the base of an upturned coffee mug to make a basket shape using a clean tea towel.
5. To make the caramel cream, whip the cream until medium peaks form, then fold in the Caramel Treat. Serve the brandy snaps dolloped with the caramel cream and Nutella.
Cook’s note: To make traditionally shaped brandy snaps, roll around the handle of a wooden spoon to make a cylinder before baking. Fill using a piping bag.
Photographs: Andrea Van Der Spuy
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom and Irinja Bekker