“I always say, if you’re exploring a new ingredient (or trying to get kids to eat it), either churn it into ice cream or stack it on a grilled cheese sarmie. This sandwich is the thing you want to find in your lunchbox on a rainy day, and is a tasty way to use up leftover broccoli – if there is such a thing!” – Khanya Mzongwana
- 8 large free-range eggs
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head broccoli, thinly sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 thick slices bread
- 125 g mayonnaise
- 100 g mozzarella, grated
- 100 g pecorino , grated
- 100 g butter
- 4 pickled onions
1. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and prepare a bowl of iced water. Gently lower the eggs into the pan, one at a time, and boil for 6 minutes. Once cooked, transfer the eggs to the bowl of iced water. Carefully peel each egg, rinsing to remove any pieces of shell. Cut the eggs in half and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan. Fry the broccoli and season. Set aside.
3. Toast 4 slices of bread – these will be in the middle of the sandwich. Place 4 untoasted slices of bread on a board and spread with some of the mayonnaise. Layer on some mozzarella then add a couple of slices of broccoli and two egg halves. Top with the toasted bread, then the pecorino, more broccoli and another two egg halves. Spread more mayonnaise on the remaining untoasted bread and close the sandwiches.
4. Heat a large, non-stick pan and spread butter on the outside of the sandwiches. Place into the pan and toast the sandwiches on both sides over a medium heat until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the pan and cut in half. Serve warm.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Khanya Mzongwana
Food assistant: Thalia Pillay