- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400–500 g skinless hake fillet
- 2 large bulbs fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- 1 lemon
- Fennel fronds, to garnish
- For the crumble topping, combine using your fingertips:
- 60 g rolled oats
- 70 g flour
- A pinch salt
- 1/2 cup mature Cheddar, grated
- 100 g butter, cut into small pieces
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Lightly season the fish and set aside. Fry the fennel in the olive oil and butter over a medium heat until softened. Season lightly.
Turn into an oiled or buttered baking dish. Place the fish on top of the fennel and moisten with the juice of the lemon. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the fish.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the topping is crisp and golden and the fish just cooked.
Garnish with snipped fennel fronds.
Cook’s note: Use Parmesan instead of Cheddar.