This is great to serve as a starter, and is one of the most satisfying ways to enjoy mussels. Their sweet flesh is perfectly complemented by the creamy, spicy sauce.” – Clem Pedro
- 3 T canola oil
- 150 g Woolworths masala fresh paste
- 6 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 x 400 ml cans coconut milk
- 1 kg fresh mussels, cleaned
- garlic bread, for serving (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large wok or cast-iron pan over hot coals. Add the masala paste and curry leaves and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant and sizzling. Add the coconut milk and stir, then bring to a boil.
2. Add the mussels and stir through. If the temperature is high enough, you won’t need to cover the mussels to ensure that they open, but this will help them open quicker.
3. After 5 minutes, all the mussels should have opened. Discard any that haven’t. Serve with garlic bread or your bread of choice.
Cook's note: Before cooking, pinch closed any mussels that look open. If they spring back and remain open – discard!
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly and Clement Pedro
Food assistants: Josh Van Zyl, Ellah Maepa and Lerato Maepa