Tres leches is a popular dessert throughout Latin America. It translates to three milks and is usually made using heavy cream, evaporated milk, and condensed milk. For this version, we’ve also added a glorious caramel cream using Nestlé Caramel Treat that you’ll want to eat by the spoonful and sprinkled over crushed Aero chocolate for the finishing touches.
- 4 large free-range eggs, separated
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 200 g plain flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 100 ml milk
- 380 g can Nestlé ideal evaporated milk
- 385 g can Nestlé full cream sweetened condensed milk
- 3 T Nestlé dessert & cooking cream
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 150 g Nestlé caramel treat dairy dessert, softened
- a pinch ground cinnamon
- 135 g slab Nestlé Aero smooth milk chocolate, chopped for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease and line a 20cm springform cake tin.
2. Put the egg whites in a large bowl with a pinch of salt, and beat with an electric hand whisk until foamy. Keep mixing while you add 150g of the sugar, a spoonful at a time, until thick and glossy.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, remaining sugar and vanilla for 2 minutes, or until pale and foamy.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, and milk to the egg yolks and use a spatula to fold everything together.
5. Add a large spoonful of egg white to the cake mix, beat together to loosen the mixture, then gently fold through the remaining egg whites with a large metal spoon (being careful not to over-stir so you don't knock out too much air), until you have a smooth batter.
6. Pour into a 20cm tin, smooth the top and bake for 40-45 mins until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Leave the cake to cool for 10 mins in the tin. Poke holes over the surface with a skewer.
8. Mix together the Nestle evaporated milk, Nestle condensed milk and 3 T of the Nestle dessert cream, then pour over half the milk mixture. Remove the cake from the tin and allow to cool completely. Reserve the remaining milk mix for serving
9. For the topping, whip cream to soft peaks and add cinnamon. Soften caramel treat and mix through cream. Top the cake with caramel cream and allow it to drip down the sides of the cake and sprinkle chopped aero chocolate over the top. Serve with extra evaporated milk mixture to drizzle over the sponge of your slices of cake if you wish.
Have you ever wanted to make flan from scratch? It's easy with Nestlé. Get the recipe for flan here.
Photography: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen
Nestlé has more than 2,000 brands, from global icons to local favourites. Whether is a strong cup of coffee to start your day or making impressive desserts, you're bound to find what you need.