“We designed this recipe to serve at our weekend lunches at Vygie – it’s deliciously moreish, plant-based and adaptable. Use any small potatoes – we chose Woolies’ baby Apache potatoes for their vibrant red skins and waxy yellow insides. Love leftovers? It’s worth doubling the recipe.” – Rose and Adam Williams
- 1.4 kg Woolworths small Apache potatoes
- 2 T salt
- olive oil, for drizzling
- ½ t freshly ground black pepper
- 100 g capers, drained
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 200 g pitted green Manzanilla olives, drained
1. Fill a saucepan with water and add the potatoes and salt. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender (a knife should easily pierce one). Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Drain the potatoes and place on a baking tray, then cover with the olive oil, black pepper, capers, lemon and olives.
3. Mix to make sure the potatoes are evenly coated with olive oil and that the capers and olives are evenly distributed. Mash the potatoes slightly with a fork and roast for 15–20 minutes, or until crispy and golden on the edges.
Cook’s note: You can serve the potatoes piping hot straight from the oven or allow them to cool slightly and serve warm.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly