- 2 large Eggs
- 1/3 cup Raw Honey / Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Carrots - grated (3 medium carrots)
- 1/2 apple Apple - grated
- 1 cup Instant Oats
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Nutty Flour
- 1 cup Bran Flakes
- 1/3 cup Raisins or chopped dates (or cranberries or goji berries or a mixture)
- 1/3 cup Nuts (coarsely chopped) - walnuts, pecans, almonds ... also pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds
- Cooking Spray
- 3/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened (use Purity baby food – 8-month 200ml bottle)
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
Spray non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
Grate carrots and apple and set aside
In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, applesauce, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, salt and whisk well to combine. Add bran, oats and whole wheat flour and gently mix until combined. Add carrots and apples and stir a few times. Stir in raisins, nuts and seeds.
Distribute batter evenly into muffin pan (do not overfill), batter should make 12 to 16 muffins. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let muffins cool for a few minutes, remove from tin and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Delicious served toasted with butter, peanut butter or Nutella (if you're not on diet)
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.
If muffins are too dry, add a little more grated apple next time. If they're too moist, add more instant oats.