- 80 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 3 lemon thyme sprigs, plus 2 tablespoons, chopped, for sprinkling
- 2 l organic chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 130 g barley
- 5 spring onions, chopped
- 750 ml cavolo nero, chopped
- 250 g chorizo, sliced
- 3 T lemon juice, to taste
- 3 t smoked paprika
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 T lemon thyme, finely chopped
- 2 T lemon zest
- Lemon-infused olive oil, for drizzling
Heat 1 T olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the onion, carrot and celery.
Sauté for 5 minutes, then add the garlic, thyme and 3 sprigs lemon thyme. Stir for 1 minute, then add the chicken stock and bay leaves. Bring to a gentle simmer and add the barley.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in the spring onions, cavolo nero and chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until the barley swells and softens, about 10 to 20 minutes.
Add a little water if the soup seems too thick and simmer a little longer. Season with lemon juice, smoked paprika and salt and pepper.
Mix the lemon zest and remaining lemon thyme.
Serve the soup in bowls.
Sprinkle each with the lemon zest mixture and add a glug or two of lemon-infused olive oil to each bowl.
Cook’s note: You can use Savoy or Cape spitz cabbage instead of cavolo nero if it’s hard to find.