- For the mash:
- 1 x 500 g Woolworths cubed pumpkin bag
- 4 large carrots
- 2–3 T honey
- 2 T olive oil
- 5 g fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 free-range boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 T cake flour
- 4 T olive oil
- 6 T butter
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 cup Woolworths organic chicken stock
- 100 g capers, drained
- 30 g parsley chopped
1. To make the mash, preheat the oven to 220°C. Cut the pumpkin into smaller pieces so it cooks faster and slice the carrots into chunks the same size.
2. Place in a baking tray and drizzle with the honey and olive oil, then add the thyme and garlic and season.
3. Bake for 20 minutes, shaking the tray every 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and place in a food processor. Blend to a mash consistency –add a spoonful of crème fraîche or sour cream if you like.
4. To make the chicken, place a large sheet of clingwrap on a work surface and place the chicken breasts on top. Cover with a second sheet of clingwrap and use a rolling pin to flatten the chicken to a thickness of 1 cm.
5. Place the our on a large dinner plate and season with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the our on both sides. Discard the our.
6. Heat 2 T olive oil and half the butter in a large pan. Fry the chicken breasts until golden on both sides. Remove from the pan.
7. Add the stock to the same pan and add the remaining butter, lemon juice and the capers, whisking vigorously. Once the sauce is slightly thickened, reduce the heat and return the chicken to the pan to cook through.
8. Serve the chicken on the veggie mash and sprinkle generously with the chopped parsley.
Cook's note: This veggie mash adds a sweet, earthy contrast to the chicken, but if you want to save time, you could use Woolworths’ readymade butternut mash instead.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen