- 1 Streaky Bacon
- 1 Plain Ciabatta
- 1 Cup Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Salt & Pepper
- 1 Woolworths Basil Pesto
1. Put the oven onto 220°C.
2. Lay your bacon out on a cookie cooling rack (oven proof) over a flat baking tray. This leaves room for the bacon fats and oils to drip onto the tray. Once your oven is ready, place the bacon into the oven. Keep an eye on it and turn your bacon slices over once you see them starting to brown.
HINT: The best way to achieve crispy bacon is to remove the oil from the cooking process, so if you’re doing it in the pan, continuously spoon out the oil.
3. Mix the freshly ground salt and pepper into the cup of olive oil (this is a preference thing i.e. don’t be too heavy-handed with either spice if you’re not a fan).
4. Cut the number of slices of Ciabatta that you need (±1.5cm or so in thickness) and baste them with the olive oil mixture using a basting brush. Pop them into the oven on the shelf above the bacon (be sure to keep an eye on them and flip each slice once they start to brown).
5. While your bread and bacon are in the oven, poach your eggs! This can be done in the traditional way, or using a poaching pan (I made use of the latter).
6. When your bacon and bread are crispy enough, take them out of the oven and serve them alongside your perfectly poached egg.
7. Drizzle some Basil Pesto over the breakfast to complete your meal. SERVE HOT!