“This is quite a mouthful, but so worth it. It’s a mash-up of a trifle and tart and the perfect South African favourite.”
- 2 cups cream
- 100 x 2 g dark chocolate
- 1 x 5 pack Woolworths lamington cake slices, torn in half
- 100 g milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 360 x 1 g can mint-flavoured Caramel Treat
- 2 x 49 g Peppermint Crisp bars, finely chopped
1. Place 1 cup cream in a small pan and heat gently. Place half the dark chocolate into a bowl with the milk chocolate. Pour over the warm cream and whisk until smooth. Beat for 4 minutes until light and fluffy, then chill.
2. Melt the remaining dark chocolate in a double-boiler or microwave. Cool slightly and spoon into a piping bag.
3. Cut the tip off the piping bag and carefully pipe tree shapes onto a sheet of greaseproof paper. Chill until ready to serve.
4. Beat the remaining cream until soft peaks form.
5. Place the Caramel Treat into a bowl and whisk until smooth. Carefully fold the cream into the Caramel Treat.
6. To serve, spoon the ganache into the trifle bowl, then add the lamingtons. Spoon over the caramel, scatter over the Peppermint Crisp and decorate with the chocolate trees.
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistant: Emma Nkunzana