This simple hake curry makes a great budget dinner. Make the easy flatbreads to take it from basic to brilliant.
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 red or yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 T oil
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 T mild curry powder
- 1 small knob ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 410 g can peeled and diced tomatoes
- a pinch of sugar
- 450 g pack freshly frozen hake portions
- For the raita:
- ¼ cucumber, grated
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- For the flatbreads:
- 375 g self-raising flour
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- large pinch of salt
- 2 t cumin seeds
- 50 g Rama margarine, melted
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
1. Sauté the onions and pepper in the oil over a low heat until soft and sweet.
2. Add the tomato paste, curry powder, ginger and garlic and sauté for a further 1–2 minutes, or until fragrant.
3. Add the tomatoes, 1/2 cup warm water and the sugar and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the hake, cover, and bubble for 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
4. To make the raita, mix the cucumber and yoghurt.
5. To make the flatbreads, mix the flour, yoghurt, salt and cumin and knead until combined. Flatten and divide into 4 balls. Roll out to a thickness of 1 cm.
6. Cook in a hot griddle pan for 2–3 minutes on each side. Mix the margarine and garlic and brush onto the flatbreads while warm. Serve the curry with the flatbreads and raita.
Cook’s notes: No time to make flatbreads? Serve the curry with fluffy long-grain rice.
Cost per Serving: R44.98*
*Prices calculated in December 2022