- For the curry paste, blend:
- 1 thick stalk lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 50 g shallots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 red chillies, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 t ground turmeric
- 1 T hazelnuts
- 1 T water
- 3 T vegetable oil
- For the curry:
- 1 small pineapple, peeled and diced
- 2 T palm sugar
- 4 Salt, to taste
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 x 400 g can coconut milk
- 500 g prawns, peeled, cleaned and deveined
- Basmati rice, for serving
- Spring onions, chopped into 2.5 cm lengths, to garnish
Heat the oil in a wok and fry the curry paste over a medium heat for 5–8 minutes.
Add the pineapple and sauté for 2–3 minutes, then add the palm sugar, salt and 1 1⁄2 cups water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 3–5 minutes or until the pineapple softens.
Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 2–3 minutes, then pour in the coconut milk. Bring back to the boil, stirring well. Add the prawns and simmer gently for a further 3–5 minutes, then serve with basmati rice, garnished with spring onion.
Cook's note: I love the sweetness and texture of grilled pineapple with prawns. The sauce has a fair bit of heat, but is balanced out nicely by the creamy coconut milk.