You can cobble together this cocktail with practically anything you have.
- 2–4 T spirit of choice
- 1–2 T simple syrup (or 1 T fruit cordial)
- sparkling water, for serving
- seasonal fruit, fro serving
1. Pour your spirit of choice into an old-fashioned glass filled with lots of crushed ice or cubes. Sherry, whisky or brandy will do; even gin or vodka in a pinch.
2. Add simple syrup, or fruit cordial and top with sparkling water or soda.
3. Finish with sliced seasonal fruit of your choice. Try red plums or the more traditional sliced lemon and orange. Sip through a glass or paper straw (no plastic for us!).
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Bianca Strydom
Food assistant: Gail Damon