- 50 g walnuts
- 1 T organic vegetable stock
- 1 cup black rice
- 250 g brown mushrooms (use exotic mushrooms for some extra oomph!)
- 4 T tamari
- 200 g Tenderstem broccoli
- 100 g curly kale
- 2 T Asian pickled ginger
- salt, to taste
- For the dressing:
- ⅓ cup natural sugar- and salt-free peanut butter
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 1 T mustard
- 2 T agave syrup or raw maple syrup
- 1 T tamari
- a splash of water (roughly 4 T – but add water until the dressing is smooth and drizzleable)
- salt, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Toast the walnuts until they start to smell delicious and turn a dark golden brown.
2. Bring 1 litre water to the boil with the vegetable stock
3. Add the black rice and simmer until the rice has cooked through – al dente not too soft!
4. Pan-fry the mushrooms in the tamari until dark in colour and starting to brown.
5. Bring another saucepan of water to boil with a generous pinch of salt. Quickly blanch the broccoli and kale – literally a few minutes until bright green in colour and softened but not overcooked. Another tip for blanching broccoli and kale is to boil the kettle, then just pour the boiled water over the greens in a deep bowl or saucepan with some salt and leave covered for 5 minutes.
6. To make the dressing, blend all the ingredients together in a blender or use a stick blender or a hand whisk. If you use a whisk it might seize a bit before you add the water and go quite dark and clumpy, but do not fear! Just add water and keep whisking until it turns light and smooth.
Cook's note: This dish is on the menu at Lexi's Healthy Eatery, a plant-based restaurant with branches in Sandton, Modderfontein, Rosebank, Hazelwood and Sea Point.