“Instead of serving the traditional sliced apples dipped in honey to wish for a good, sweet year, I'm baking this cake crowned with thinly sliced apple drizzled with honey.” – Phillippa Cheifitz
- 75 g golden sultanas
- 4 T brandy
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 extra-large free-range eggs
- 250 g ground almonds
- 2 (350 g) Granny Smith apples, peeled and grated
- 1 lemon, finely zested and juiced
- For the topping:
- 1–2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-2 T lemon juice
- 1-2 T honey
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease a 22 cm springform cake tin with non-stick baking spray or olive oil, then line with baking paper.
2. Pour boiling water over the sultanas, drain and place in a small saucepan. Pour over the brandy, bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat. Leave to soak and cool.
3. Whisk the honey and oil until well combined, then whisk in the eggs one at a time. Add the almonds and whisk until smooth. Fold in the grated apple, soaked sultanas, lemon zest and juice.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared tin, smoothing the top. Bake for 50 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool. Serve on a cake plate or stand.
5. Just before serving, top with peeled thinly sliced apple, painted with lemon juice and drizzled with honey.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Phillippa Cheifitz
Food assistant: Kate Ferreira