“A club is one of those all-encompassing sandwiches, there’s something in it for everyone, and throwing it on the braai as the beginning of your fireside feast will make you an exceedingly popular host. Secure with skewers or toothpicks before cutting into quarters!” – Khanya Mzongwana
- 6 thick slices white bread
- 4 T canola oil
- 8 rashers bacon
- 2 free-range eggs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200 g white Cheddar
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 80 g vegetable atchar
- 100 g butter, softened
View this post on Instagram
1. Toast 2 slices of bread – these will go in the middle of your braaibroodjie. Set aside until ready to use.
2. Heat half the oil in a pan. Fry the bacon until crispy, turning once, about 4 minutes. Using the same pan, fry the eggs to your preference, then season. Set aside.
3. To assemble, top 2 slices of bread with cheese, tomato, onion and atchar. Top each with the toasted. Layer with eggs and bacon and the remaining cheese. Top with the last slice of bread.
4. Spread the outside of the braaibroodjies with butter. Heat a grill and carefully braai for 3–4 minutes on each side, or until toasted and the cheese has melted. Cut in half and serve immediately.
Photograph: Jan Ras