“My mom’s unfounded fear of not having enough food always results in a last-minute batch of mini frikkadels on Christmas Day. We never need them but they make the best Boxing Day sarmies. With her 8-hour lamb, a glazed gammon and my dad’s chicken pie all fighting for oven time, these easy microwave meatballs are done in no time.” – Tharien Nel
- 500 g beef mince
- 3 slices brown bread, soaked in milk
- 1 large free-range egg
- 40 g packet Woolworths brown onion thickener
1. Mix all the ingredients and shape into mini meatballs.
2. Pack around the edge of a round casserole dish. Microwave for 10–12 minutes on medium power. Alternatively, bake at 180°C for 20 minutes. Turn halfway through the cooking time.
3. Serve with home-made mustard sauce.
Photography: Jan Ras
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen van Rooyen