A loaded lunchbox for under R35? Clement Pedro is a man with a plan! Make his peanut-butter-and-banana baked doughnuts in a doughnut pan, ordinary muffin pan or loaf pan, and say goodbye to sad lunches.
- 2 Large, ripe bananas (or slightly overripe for more banana flavour)
- 200 g sugar
- 150 g butter, softened
- 2 free-range eggs
- 4 T crunchy or smooth peanut butter
- 240 g cake flour
- 2 t baking powder
- ¼ t salt
- salted peanuts, chopped, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Mash the bananas using a fork or an electric-hand mixer. Add the sugar, butter, eggs and peanut butter and combine.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly mixing with the hand-mixer or using a silicone spatula to ensure that the mixture is well-combined and that there are no pockets of flour.3. Grease a muffin pan, doughnut moulds or an 24 cm loaf pan. Sprinkle in some salted peanuts and fill with the batter.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Cook’s note: Pack an affordable lunchbox with these yummy doughnuts, along with items from Woolworths’ WList. Slice large carrots and English cucumber into batons. Add a Golden Delicious apple, a low-fat smooth strawberry, vanilla or banana yoghurt and a cheese sandwich made with brown sandwich bread and Gouda cheese. Lunch under R35!
*Prices calculated at the time of writing in December 2022.
Need more great-value recipes? Check out our WList great value hub, which features lunches under R30 per serving and dinners under R50 per serving. Click here to go to the hub.
Photograph: Romy Wilson
Videography: Shavan Rahim
Food assistant: Estee Skein