- For the spice paste:
- 3 tender hearts of lemongrass stalk, minced
- 4 red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 1 thumb-sized knob ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 slices galangal
- 1 t shrimp paste
- 3 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 T peanut oil
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 t ground turmeric
- 1 t light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- For the coconut broth:
- 1 T peanut oil
- 1/2 cup prepared spice paste
- 1 x 400 ml coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, torn
- 1 T fish sauce
- To assemble:
- 1 head tatsoi, rinsed and chopped
- 1 T peanut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g Chinese egg noodles, cooked according to package instructions and rinsed
- 8 large shelled and deveined prawns, pan-seared for 2 minutes on each side
- 160 g calamari, cooked
- 4 x 80 g sustainable linefish fillets, pan-seared for 3 minutes on each side
- Garlic-chilli sauce, to serve
- Crispy shallots, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
To make the spice paste, blend the lemongrass hearts, chillies, ginger, galangal, shrimp paste, shallots, garlic and oil.
Add the coriander, turmeric, sugar and water and blend at the highest speed to form a smooth paste. Scoop into a glass jar and chill until required.
To make the coconut broth, heat the peanut oil in a large saucepan over a medium to high heat, then stir in the spice paste. Keep stirring for about 3 minutes until the mixture has browned slightly. Pour in the coconut milk, bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, stir in the herbs and fish sauce, and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain and keep warm.
To assemble, wilt the tatsoi over a medium heat in the peanut oil and season to taste.
Warm the noodles in boiling water, toss with the wilted tastoi and divide equally among 4 large soup or noodle bowls. Arrange the seafood over the noodles and spoon over the sauce.
Top with fresh coriander and serve with sambal or garlic-chilli hot sauce, crispy shallots and lime wedges.