“Our catering manager Sharon Mbonambi has guarded this recipe from everyone but she feels it’s time to share it with the world. It’s always been difficult to obtain because she never weighs the ingredients and uses her eye. It’s the way she has always baked.” – Scott Parker
- 250 g flour
- 1 T baking powder
- ½ t salt
- 50 g caster sugar
- 80 g frozen butter
- ½ cup amasi or buttermilk
- 1 free-range egg
- butter, jam and cream, for serving
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Grate in the butter and rub into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Mix in the buttermilk using a butter knife until the mixture comes together. Gently bring together using your hands.
3. Pat out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a sharp cookie cutter, cut out rounds and place on a baking tray. Chill while preheating the oven to 200°C.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with butter, jam and whipped cream, dusted with icing sugar.
Cook’s note: To sharpen cookie cutters, use a knife steel to sharpen the cut side.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food Assistant: Bianca Strydom