“These make a great side dish too.”
- 4 brinjals, halved
- extra virgin olive oil spray
- 200 g baby leeks
- salt, to taste
- 5 g Woolworths wasabi-flavoured roasted seaweed snack
- 15 g chives, cut into large pieces
- 100 g peanuts, toasted in the air- fryer and roughly chopped
- For the marinade, mix:
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 T miso paste
- 4 T soya sauce
- 3 T honey
- 4 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 5 cm pieces ginger, finely grated
- 3 T toasted sesame oil
- For the lime-and-coriander rice:
- 2 x 200 g pakcs Woolworths Heat and Eat coconut jasmine rice
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 15 g coriander, roughly chopped
1. Score the brinjals diagonally. Spray the cut side with olive oil and cook in the air-fryer, cut side up, for 10 minutes at 200°C.
2, Reduce the heat to 180°C. Brush the brinjals with the marinade and cook for 5 minutes, then add another layer and cook for a further 5 minutes. Repeat, then remove and set aside.
3. Spray the leeks with olive oil and cook in the air-fryer at 180°C for 10 minutes. Season with salt.
4. Prepare the rice according to package instructions. Mix with the lime zest and juice and coriander. Spoon into bowls and add the brinjals and leeks. Serve with the lime wedges, seaweed, chives and peanuts.
Cook's note: Because of all the hot air being circulated in a small space, air- fryers are especially good for glazing food. Some might need preheating, which is simply done by setting the temperature and switching it on before the food goes in. Most have an indicator to let you know when the temperature has been reached.
Photography: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly and Clement Pedro
Recipes: Clement Pedro
Food assistant: Leila-Ann Moketedi