“A quick char on the braai gives veggies a great smoky flavour.”
- 1 large cabbage
- 4 brown steak mushrooms
- ¾ cup Woolworths chipotle braai baste and dip
- 2 bunches spring onions
- lemon juice, a squeeze
- sea salt, to taste
1. Remove all the leaves from the cabbage and pile them up. Cut into large squares. Make more than one pile if necessary.
2. Thread bunches of cabbage onto 4 soaked bamboo kebab sticks.
3. Tear the mushrooms in half and add a half to the top and bottom of each kebab. Cook over medium coals, basting with the chipotle, turning often, for about 20 minutes.
4. Heat a cast-iron or griddle pan and cook the onions until soft. Season with lemon juice and salt.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Recipes and production: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistant: Nicola Naudé
Student assistant: Marizen Smit