- 1 x 800 g can Woolworths whole peeled tomatoes in tomato juice
- 3 leeks, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 1 T Woolworths miso paste
- 3 T olive oil
- 3 T butter
- salt, to taste
- 500 g orecchiette, cooked al dente
- Parmesan, grated, for serving
- green peppercorns, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place the tomatoes, leeks, onion, garlic and chillies in a large roasting pan, then top with the miso, olive oil, butter and salt.
2. Roast until the tomatoes start to brown around the edges of the pan. Stir and roast for a further 10 minutes.
3. Toss with the pasta, and top with the Parmesan and peppercorns.
Cook's note: This sauce can double as an intense tomato soup. Add 1 cup vegetable stock and blend to your desired consistency. Serve with toasted cheese sandwiches.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistant: Irinja Bekker